Friday, March 23, 2007

Gov. Riley Doesn't Smell Like Roses

I'm still mad about the 62% pay heist passed by the House and Senate on Tuesday of this week. It really chaps my ass because my representative, Betty Carol Graham, will not return any of my phone calls or emails. In the last four years I have been able to meet with her exactly ONE TIME. And now she is making almost $50,000 a year to sit in her office at CACC (another state job with a nice salary and benefits in the two-year college system)and do things like bring a sewing machine training plant to the college.

YIPPIE!!!! The textile industry is dead in Tallapoosa Co. so a great lot of good that did. I always thought that people went to college so they wouldn't wind up in a sewing plant. Isn't that the whole point of a college education....to avoid being a slave in a factory job? I will be running for Mrs. Grahams seat in 2010. Why, I even promise to return her phone calls and emails if elected.

I keep hearing a lot of things like "Well, bless Gov. Riley for vetoing it" and "At least he tried." In reality, he did not try. The veto was to make him look good to all of us who opposed the pay raise.

The truth of the matter is that when the House and Senate sent the bill to Gov. Riley he could have used the power of his pen to counter the offer. That would have opened negotiations where we might have been able to decrease the outrageous figure, pulled the yearly automatic increase, and quite possibly come to an agreement we could all live with.

But, Gov. Riley didn't use the power of the pen to open negotiations. He simply vetoed the bill, all the while knowing that the house and senate had the votes to over ride his veto. One has to surmise that he did not oppose this increase or he would have used his power to slow it down and alter it.

Everyone who is unhappy about this pay heist should CONTACT the Governor and ask him why he didn't use his power to stall and negoatiate for a more reasonable amount.

Here's the message I sent to the Governor.

Dear Governor Riley,

Thank you for your symbolic veto of the 62% legislative pay heist on Tuesday of this week. I was in attendance at the protest and later watched, in total disgust, as the House eaisly over rode your veto.

I assume you knew all along that the house and senate would have the votes to over ride the veto, so I have to ask why you didn't use the power of your pen to counter their proposal with a much more reasonable one? I don't think many in Alabama would have objected to a reasonable request for a legislative pay raise. After all, if anyone understands the rising cost of gasoline and food it is the citizens who inhabit this state.

But, your simply vetoing it and sending it back without alteration destroyed any chance of lowering the amount and removing the yearly increase. I feel that is a huge disservice to the citizen's of Alabama.

My representative in Tallapoosa Co., Betty Carol Graham, did not deserve a raise. I am unable to get her to return any of my phone calls or emails. In the last four years I have been able to meet with her exactly ONE TIME. And now she is making almost $50,000 a year to sit in her office at CACC (another state job in the two-year college system) and do things like bring a sewing machine training plant to the college.

YIPPIE!!!! I always thought that people went to college so they wouldn't wind up in a sewing plant. Isn't that the whole point of a college education....to avoid being a slave in a factory job?

The textile industry is dead in Tallapoosa Co., so a great lot of good that did.
Do you think she deserved a raise? I think she deserved a pay cut.

Since you aren't running for Governor again my message may not mean very much, but I wanted you to know that I feel you could have done a better job and so do many other Alabamians.

All the best,
Loretta Nall
2006 Libertarian Candidate for Governor






No comments: