Tuesday, January 29, 2008

State Treasurer Apologizes to My Son

Yesterday I posted about my son attending the Leadership in Action Network conference in Montgomery and about some comments Alabama State Treasurer Kay Ivey made in her remarks to the audience. I emailed Mrs. Ivey's office and asked her to apologize to my son.


I clearly apologize to you for any appearance of casting discredit. You are obviously a person with aspiration. I wish you well. Sincerely, Kay Ivey


There was further explanation of her comments in the email but they were nasty and cast doubt on her sincerity.

I know it may seem like I am nit-picking or causing trouble for the fun of it, but I dare say that if an Atheist had addressed the audience and used their disbelief causing others to feel discredited due to their beliefs there would have been far more complaints than this single one.

I am not anti-religion or anti-Christian. I respect everyone's human right to believe or not believe in whatever they choose. It's when church and state collide like this that I protest. Religious belief, or lack thereof, is a private, deeply personal matter. Mixing it with state is the best way to lose that freedom to choose.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fight for individual liberty!