Friday, December 19, 2008

Why deny people chance for relief?

My great friend and fellow political activist, Don Seibold, had this most excellent letter published in today's Montgomery Advertiser.


Regarding Frank Winkler's letter headlined "Legalization clearly unhealthy": I've never partaken of marijuana in any form. I've suffered chronic pain for more than half my life.


If marijuana for treatment of pain were legalized and prescribed by my doctor, I'd try it to see if it relieves or diminishes my pain that nothing else has relieved. I don't think government should be able to say what a person can or cannot do in order to relieve pain.

Our Declaration of Independence says, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed."

So what right does government have to deny anyone's right to treat pain in whatever way provides the most relief?

None.

I've contacted my state senator (Larry Dixon) and representative (Barry Mask) asking them where they stand regarding the proposed medical marijuana bill for Alabamians. I think I deserve to hear from both of them since I am one of their constituents who helps pay their salaries as legislators.

Don Seibold
Wetumpka


Thanks for this excellent letter Don. I cannot over-stress the importance of hearing from people who have never used marijuana in any form.



4 comments:

Christie O'Brien said...

Thanks Don!

Don said...

Thanks, Loretta, for your flattering remarks, and Christie, for your comment as well.

You know, Senator Dixon hasn’t even acknowledged that he received my email. Representative Mask told me he would study the bill and get back to me, but that’s the last I’ve heard from him. I wonder why our legislators are so unresponsive and what, if anything, could be done about it.

Unknown said...

Great job on the letter, Don!

And thanks for helping spread it around, Loretta!

Don said...

And thank you, Steve, out there on the Left Coast. I wish you the best dealing with your health problem.