Wednesday, April 26, 2006

I Support Gay Rights

I am often asked the following questions with regard to gay rights, gay marriage and hate crime laws.

1. Do you support Gay Rights?

Yes, I do. Liberty is one of those things you cannot have if you are not willing to let others have it as well.

2. Do you support the rights of gay people to marry?


Yes, I do. Nothing in the Constitution gives the government the power to define marriage or to say who can marry and who cannot. Marriage license were not a requirement until after the end of slavery and were only implemented to prevent interracial marriage. I do not want the government in my bedroom and I do not want the government in your bedroom. If I let them into yours then, eventually they will come into mine. If elected Governor of Alabama I will veto any ban on gay marriage

3. Do you support hate crimes legislation?

No, I do not. It is already a crime to kill anyone for any reason. A person who would kill someone because of sexual orientation isn't worried about what kind of time they will get anyway. Hate crime laws will not change the way people think. They will not spread tolerance and acceptance and they will not stop gay people from being assaulted and killed by the violent whackos that inhabit the earth.
Buy a gun instead. As the Pink Pistols say, "Armed Gays Don't Get Bashed."

Additionally, and most importantly is that hate crimes laws are really thought crime laws. Regardless of how repugnant I might personally find the thoughts of others I do not wish to outlaw them. Our freedoms are all the same regardless of how we choose to exercise them.

However, that having been said, I feel that here in Alabama we either need to repeal all hate crimes laws on the books or add sexual orientation to the list. Fair is fair.

Alabama has too long been engaged in the politics of hate. It is time we
began to move away from that image. I embrace all of our citizens and vow
to protect their right to life, liberty and property. That is all the
government is suppossed to do.

In Liberty,
Loretta Nall
Vote Nall Y'all...It's Just Common Sense
http://www.nallforgovernor.com

No comments: