Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Goat and Poultry Auction

In case any of you had any doubts this should prove beyond any of them that I am a deep woods country girl with a farming streak in me at least a mile wide. Yesterday my family and I decided to ride over to Clay County and visit the goat and poultry auction on County Rd. 91. I had been wanting to go to this for a couple years but never could find the time and never could remember if it was held on the first and third Saturday or the second and fourth Saturday. It's the second and fourth if any of my readers ever find themselves up this way and want to go. We had a great time.

I grew up on a goat farm in Talladega, AL for part of my childhood and so have a special place in my heart for goats. They're funny little clownish animals that can turn any frown upside down despite smelling like a billy goat. And man were there a lot of them there. Here are a few pictures we took on our adventure.

Although it doesn't look like it in this picture I promise you this is the largest goat I have ever seen. I didn't know goats got that big. This is a male Nubian. I'm five foot three and this goat was taller than me. and weighed a whopping 220 lbs. He was stunning and a pet as he let me play with him and scratch his head.


This is bad boy being auctioned off. He looked to me like he had problems with his joints and that it hurt to walk. I hope he gets his own private stable and has the females of the herd run in to see him. He looked too old to chase them down. He was nothing but a pet. He laid his big ol head on the shoulder of the guy handling him and waited peacefully for whatever came next. I sure wish I had him. He was truly a magnificent goat. NOTE: I love the make up of the people in the room. They were smoking cigarettes. chewing tobacco, wearing camouflage, and all men (and a few of the women had on caps....mostly John Deere). There were families there from grandpaw down to the newest great grand baby. Good hard working farming people. It was total immersion in the local culture. And it was fabulous! I must bring my city friends from places like New York, Connecticut, LA, San Fran and Canada to see one of these sometime.


Vietnamese Pot Belly Pigs
I've always wanted one of these. The cage was open on top so I reached in and played with them. My husband fell in love and wanted to bring both of them home with us. My daughter deemed them the Siamese pigs because they stuck together. They stood touching each other, walked with each other, turned with each other and did little piggy grunts and squeals with each other. If we'd had a place to put them they would be outside in my yard right now. We are working on a place and plan to go back in two weeks to see if we can find them or some like them.




Some goats of varying shapes and sizes.





Perhaps the most adorable puppies I've ever seen. The look like Jack Russell terriers. They begged and whined to come home with me and I was nearly persuaded. But what I really want is a female German Shepherd for my Snoot.



A few chickens.



A pretty little red calf.







12 comments:

Joe said...

How fun. The pups look like they are wearing blue blue contact lenses.

Christie O'Brien said...

What an adventure! Mitch has always wanted a goat. I would love to go...as long as they don't sell any of these animals to be slaughtered. I don't think I could handle that.

Loretta Nall said...

The pups were so adorable. They whined and yipped at everyone who came near their cage. They would lick your fingers and beg and man they were just precious!

Loretta Nall said...

I don't know what happens to the animals after they are auctioned off. My guess is they go to a new pasture. They may be sold for meat somewhere down the line. Goat farming is huge in Alabama right now. They say the meat is awesome. I've never eaten any. Anyway there is no slaughtering or killing going on there and you and Mitch would love it. We had a blast! We are going back in two weeks. If y'all are free on that Saturday you should come down.

banjolawyer said...

nice.. my daughter would love to go.

Loretta Nall said...

Well banjo come on up and bring your daughter. I don't think where I am is too far from you and where the auction is isn't too far from me. I've invited a few other people to come to the next one which is on the 28th. You bring the beer, I'll provide other necessities and we'll go have us a hooten nanny, wing ding showdown.

I swear y'all will absolutely LOVE this place. you gotta see it to believe it.

banjolawyer said...

I put it in my gcal, but i'm almost certain we'll be needing to wait until another month. we are trying to move to a new house in Auburn by the end of the month.

Loretta Nall said...

Ah moving....my least favorite sport. It will still be going on all through the spring and summer. Every second and fourth Saturday. You just keep that reminder on your calendar and let me know when you can come.

Anonymous said...

I used to have a goat and quite a few laying hens. There is a flea market in Collinsville close to where I grew up where I used to buy my farm animals. Most of the animals are dogs and chickens but there are also occasionally larger animals like pigs, goats, and sometimes a cow or two. I think I will have to visit this auction sometime and see if I can't find a jack russell puppy there.

Anonymous said...

Interesting article you got here. I'd like to read more concerning this theme. Thank you for posting this information.

THREE R RANCH said...

I buy goats over there and its a fun place to go.

Loretta Nall said...

Hey Three R Ranch....I have a yard full of African Pygmy goats. 2 males, one grown and one about 6 months old, 4 females...2 grown and 2 6 months old and a brand new one I haven't peek at to see the sex yet that is a week old. Know anyone looking to buy any?