Friday, July 27, 2007

More on the Jerry Wayne Love case

Yesterday we learned that Judge Karen Hall denied Jerry Wayne Loves motion to withdraw his plea of guilt. I think that was yet another mistake by Judge Hall. This morning there is a more in-depth story in the Huntsville Times about how things played out in court.

Love, 51, of 3202 Overhill St., told Hall during a hearing that he did not understand the consequences of his deal with the prosecutors. He said he followed the advice of his lawyers to avoid a trial.

"I was innocent and I pleaded guilty to something I didn't do," he said. His lawyers "said I wouldn't be able to get a fair trial on these charges. It was a bad deal, but I took the advice of my counsel."

Love pleaded guilty July 9 to the charges involving three of his foster children. In exchange, the prosecution dropped 10 counts of sodomy and three counts of sexual abuse against Love.

Love said Thursday he did not understand that he would be on probation for 15 years; that he would be required to move out of his home near a school, where he has lived for 15 years; that custody of his minor daughter would never be restored; that he would have to go through a sex offender treatment program for two years; and that he would have to pay restitution to the victims.


Nonsense. Plea deals are explained by the lawyers first and then again by the judge to make sure the person entering the plea understands exactly what it entails. Or at least that is the way it is suppossed to be. However, I feel his request should have been granted. If there was enough evidence to make him take a plea deal then surely there was enough evidence to put his ass on trial before a jury of 12 of his peers.

Love, who holds bachelor's and master's degrees in education,


Wow, I was only joking when I said something relating to him getting a degree in education on Hannity & Colmes. It appears he already has a degree in education. That is downright scary. I wonder if he has ever held a teaching job?


No comments: