Sunday, September 09, 2007

Day One at Wal-Mart

You know, it wasn't bad at all. It's been a while since I have worked an hourly job that puts me in direct contact with the public. I didn't get much public contact yesterday because it was all orientation, watching videos, taking tests on the computer and filling out paperwork. I will be there from 8-4 today finishing up orientation and then hopefully I will be ready to rock-n-roll on my register. I remember cashiering, before I became so heavily involved in politics that it consumed my life, and I always enjoyed it. I can talk and cut up with anyone. Since I am a being that requires hyper-stimulation in order to function at my best cashiering has always been something of a good fit.

I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised by the benefits offered to employees. They have a 401k, stock purchase options, two health insurance plans, one for new hires,which will cover three regular doctor visits per family member per year with a $20 co-pay and $10 prescriptions, and one for people that have been there a year or more that offers more coverage. The drawback was that the deductible is very high, but the premium is affordable. They also offer counseling if you have personal problems, drug and alcohol treatment if you come forward and say you have a problem....if they catch you having a problem however, they will fire you.

For every eight hour shift I get an hour lunch break off the clock and two 15 minute breaks on the clock. I had worried about having nicotine fits but that didn't happen yesterday. Even cooler is that they provide a smoking room for employees. Not too many places do that anymore.

By the time I left last night my head was splitting down the middle. I had one of the worst headaches I can remember having in a long time. I think it was a combination of the fluorescent lighting and having to crane my neck up to look at the tv while watching videos. Today I'll be taking my Excedrin with me.

Y'all hold the fort down til I get back.



No comments: