Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Beans, Peas & Tomatoes

Brandywine Tomato. I set these three out about a week ago and they already have a couple inches of new growth on them. The one bad thing about Brandywine's is that they take a long time to mature and they don't produce prolifically like genetically engineered versions most people around here grow. However, the divine tomato-i-ness of the Brandywine is worth the wait. (NOTE: These pictures get HUGE if you click on them)


My green beans, lima beans and purple hull peas have finally broken through the soil.
YUMMY! I could eat my weight in purple hull peas and lima beans. I love green beans too if they are fried down in a skillet with some onion and a large piece of fat back...just like MeMaw used to make.

Bush green beans. One day these were no where to be seen and the next they were 2 inches tall. I hope they produce as well as they grow.

The first Purple Hull Peas

The first Lima Bean.

A close up of the pole green beans in the mound.

Bean, corn & squash mound. For those of you who might be wondering why all of this is planted in a mound...this is the way that Native Americans used to grow these particular veggies. The beans run up the corn and the squash keeps the roots shaded. Very efficient for a lazy gardner.



del.icio.us
Google
Yahoo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... Like the mound idea.

Don said...

I once heard that Indians buried fish among their crops for their fertilizer. An old German doctor near where I grew up had a fish pond in the center of his garden to raise fish for fertilizing his crops.