Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Emergency Appendectomy

My daughter Bell had to have an emergency appendectomy yesterday. She woke up with a belly-ache and said it had awakened her in the night. I made her an appointment for the doctor. The earliest I could get was 1 p.m. She got up at 9 a.m. pale as a ghost and holding her right side. I knew then what we were dealing with and rushed her to the pediatrician's office. He agreed that it was an appendicitis and sent her directly to the hospital for a surgical consult.

They were able to do the surgery laproscopicly and she was awake and eating withing 2 hours. A few hours later she was up on her feet. She got to come home this morning and says she isn't in pain but is more just sore.

Laproscopic surgery must beat the shit out of being sliced open. Either that or I am a pansy when it comes to pain. I had my appendix out in 1998 and they did it the old fashioned way. It hurt something awful when I woke up and hurt for weeks afterward. I was taking dilaudid for pain. Bell has only asked for pain medication twice since coming out of surgery.

Here are a couple of gory pictures from the surgery. I think they are neat.

The offending Appendix



In the Bag

No comments: