Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What's for Dinner?

The squash and beans are coming in at my house along with the zucchini and cucumbers. I am still having a minor problem with blossom rot on the big tomato plants. It appears to be working itself out though as more fruits are setting and less blooms are dropping.

Anyway, back to the squash. I've never been a real big fan of squash by itself....but I love squash casserole. I had about 4 squash from the last two days and decided to make them into one for a side dish with tonight's dinner.

Here is the recipe I used along with some pictures I took along the way. I skipped the pecans because I don't have any.






A squash casserole with pecan or bread crumb topping, along with cheese and onions.

INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds yellow squash, cut in 3/4-inch cubes
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
water
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup saltine crackers, crumbled
1/2 cup milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped, or buttered bread crumbs

PREPARATION:
Place the squash, onion, salt, and pepper in a large saucepan. Add a small amount of water. Cover and cook the squash until tender, stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary. Drain the squash and onions; return to the pan and stir in the butter.

Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper to your taste.
Butter a 1 1/2-quart baking dish well. Stir the crumbled crackers into the squash mixture, and turn into the buttered casserole. Pour the milk over the squash and sprinkle with the cheese and chopped pecans or crumbs. Bake at 350°, uncovered, for 20 minutes, until the milk is absorbed and the squash casserole is bubbly. Serve hot. Serves 4 to 6.



We are also getting green beans. I make green beans like my MeMaw. With onions, oil and a chopped potato. I usually have a piece of bacon or fat back in there too but was out of both today. I fry them down. Yum they are sooooo good.



h


Update: The squash casserole was one of the most delicious things I have ever tasted. The green beans came out perfect. They were both served with grilled pork chops, and fresh sliced tomato and cucumber.I felt like licking my plate when I was done. The rest of the family has the same reaction.

I really enjoy this gardening thing. Food you grow and prepare yourself tastes better and is much better for you and far cheaper in the long run. Its great exercise and very theraputic. There is nothing like going out in the early morning when the sun is still low and listening to the birds while looking at your plants.

del.icio.us
Google
Yahoo

1 comment:

Don said...

I see that you’re a gourmet cook. YUM YUM! :-)

I like to cook when I have time, but I hardly ever go by a recipe. I just fly by the seat of my pants. One way I prepare squash is to slice it either across or lengthwise between a quarter and half inch thick, dredge it in cornmeal and sauté in a skillet in a little olive oil. It can also be baked but that takes longer and heats up the kitchen.